Monday, May 19, 2008

Yard Sale


We had a yard sale on Saturday. I think last years yard sale blinded us to reality. Last year we told everyone we were having a yard sale to raise money to buy a dog, a Yorkie. I've always wanted a Yorkie but they are so expensive that I didn't think I'd ever be able to get one, that and I felt so selfish for wanting such an expensive extravagance. So I told Big D if we made enough money to buy the dog we would get her and if not I wouldn't bother him about it ever again.

Our family and friends were so great, they donated a ton of stuff to the cause. It took us the whole day before just to set up and price every thing. It was funny because customer would relate their stories of past yard sales to us. I had one lady come up and say, "I had a yard sale a couple years ago and I made $600, but I had a lot bigger stuff so I doubt you make that." Well, we ended up making $900 and the dog cost $850. Needless to say, that is how we got Kinnzi. She is really a family dog, my entire "family dog", and everyone who meets her loves her.

This year when Big D came up with the idea to have another yard sale, I think he was blinded by last years dollar signs. We didn't hit up every body for their stuff this time, let's face it we didn't have a cause this year. We just thought we could earn some money to help pay for school or our summer vacations. Any little bit will help with gas or food.

We made a profit of about $220 this year. We only had our sale for one day instead of two and we had maybe a quarter of the stuff than last year. I think that's pretty good for a mornings work.

The funny part is, just like every time we seem to have extra money, something breaks down. Well, our van is making a funny knocking noise so we have to take it back in to the mechanic. It better not cost more than $200 or we are screwed. I was really hoping last week when we got the van fixed it was going to be the last time for awhile, but it doesn't seem so.

Is all this because we paid the van off? We should have just stuck it out for the next three years and we would have been fine, at least for three years.

No comments: