Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Potty Training a Bear


I think potty training a real bear might be easier, and less violent, than potty training my Bear. He is a stubborn three year old who transforms into a little monster the instant I mention the toilet. I have been kicked, smacked, screamed at, and, if I wasn't as quick as I am, I would have been bitten as well. Why does my precious little boy treat me this way? Because I am trying to do the unthinkable, take away his diaper freedom and force him to use the ca mode.

I have to admit he is a smart little man. He is also the epitome of: if it's not his idea, it's not happening. I will be the first to admit that this is not happening.

Bear starts preschool in the fall, so we figured that gives us all summer to potty train him and get him ready to run with the big boys. Well, he's figured out this system, when I put him on the toilet he doesn't potty. Then I take him off and the instant I put his training pants on, he let's loose. I have gotten so tired of this that I've been having him stay on the toilet until he does something. The other day he sat there for two and a half hours. I don't know if that is abuse or not but I am feeling like it's abusive to me. Having to sit on that hard floor reading and singing for two and a half hours, my bum was so flat after that, and his bum had a little ring around it. It was neither pleasant for me nor for him.

I am at a lose as to what to do. I don't want to just give up, because he needs to get potty trained before school. That and I love the idea of not having to change diapers any more, the cost is killing us. I hate making him sit on that toilet for so long, but he refuses to relax and go no matter how many books I read or songs I sing, maybe he doesn't like my voice :[

We will prevail! Bear will learn that it is way more freedom using the toilet than having to lay down and wait for someone else to change him. We will save the money we spend on diapers and retire to Tuscany some day. All will be roses, as soon as I potty train a Bear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

K. I am facing the same problem. If I mention potty to Alivia ~ She breaks out into tears or starts throwing a tantrum. However if she thinks of it and tells us she wants to sit on the potty she is so happy. The only problem is she only asks every other week or so ~ so at her rate it will never happen. Well good luck with you venture. I am hoping within the next year we will be trained and in big girl panties. By the way ~ we really need to bbq this summer!!!