Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Adventures on Our Staycation

With the price of gas jumping by 10 cents every time you blink your eyes, it is no wonder people cannot afford to go on vacations right now. We are lumped into that category so we decided to experience our very first "staycation" of the summer. The latin root of 'va' in vacation means: to go avay. The opposite would be to 'stay'. Many people are going to have to opt for staycations this summer rather than vacations, so let's make the best of it.

My niece, Lynn, and nephew, Brook Jr., were over and we wanted to do something fun. Big D brought up sleeping on the trampoline and asked me if I'd join them. It's been raining for the past week and I didn't feel like getting soaking wet in the middle of an awesome dream. I told him I would do it IF he'd set up the tent for me. Not only did he set up the tent, but he figured out a way to hang my laptop from the top of the tent so all of us could lay down and watch the movie "Over Her Dead Body". It was cute but I've seen better.

It was a bit cramped, eight people in a five man tent, but we all had a good time. It was funny when the wind would blow and the screen would float across the top of our heads, a bit distracting.

After the movie everyone hunkered down in their sleeping bags and we told stories. Big D was on the tramp with five of the kids and I was in the tent with one, Beaner. Big D would make up a story while Beaner and I, on the inside of the tent with a flashlight, would act out the story with our shadow hand puppets. It was pretty funny.

We all slept pretty good except Big D, Bud, and Bear. Big D was in the center of the tramp with the boys on either side of him. The older, and bigger, kids were around the outside of the tramp and would slide a little closer to the middle every couple minutes. They were eventually squishing the boys who woke up complaining. Big D would have to situate them again and try to get them to go back to sleep. Well, then it started to sprinkle on their heads.

Don't worry Beaner and I slept right through it and we stayed dry. I was surprised none of the kids went inside or came in the tent, they just toughed it out. What troopers we all are. All in all we had a nice staycation, but it's always nice to be home.

No comments: