Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mummies, Ducks, and Fries Oh My

My mother-in-law has been wanting to take the kids to the Idaho Falls Museum for a couple months now. She wanted to make a whole day out of it so it took a little while to correlate our schedules. We finally got our opportunity on Saturday.

We walked around the museum for about an hour or two learning cool stuff about ancient Egypt and the Pharaohs. I never knew Ramses II had over one hundred children and scientist have found names for over thirty of them. Which is rare because back then Pharaohs didn't much care about their offspring except for the most important ones.

We got to see a mummified kitten which the locals made for tourist who used them as an offering to their Cat Goddess, Bastet.

It was a little creepy to see a set of four canopic jars and two still had their original contents inside. We didn't get to actually see the content, but still. It's creepy to know that some ancient dudes intestines are petrified not six inches in front of me.

Big D was a little disappointed not being able to see an actual Mummy. There was a sarcophagus lid, but no mummy. I'm glad we didn't see one, I don't want to deal with nightmares for the next month.

After the kids were done with the museum we all got a bite to eat and headed over to the Green Belt to feed the ducks. The kids had a ball throwing bread in the water and watching to see which duck got the prize. There were tons of geese and mallards, but there were these two different geese, I wish I knew their technical name but I don't. These geese had bright orange feet and beaks. I guess they were just interesting because they were the only two of their kind in the midst of a hundred others.



Oh and their was one pure white duck that was so beautiful. Bud kept calling her a swan but she was no where near the size of a swan.



Big D and Papa Ray got some geese to eat out of their hands. So Bug thought that was a great idea and tried to do the same. She was very persistent and patient but she never did get them to partake.



After all the bread was gone we enjoyed just relaxing and taking it all in.



I love doing things with my family, especially when grandparents come along. I love seeing the sparkle in grandparent's eyes as they watch their living legacy. We are so blessed to have so many awesome grandparents in our family.




Big D took the kids down to the water under the falls. They thought that was pretty cool.

No comments: