Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Lowell Jr. vs Kitchen Aid Slicer Blade

Bug and Beaner are taking piano lessons from Auntie Rae. We showed up for our weekly lesson yesterday to find Lowell Jr. not very happy. He decided to stick all five fingers through the end holes of a Kitchen Aid slicer blade and use it as a gun. Rae was able to extract four of the five fingers but his tall man was being a bit stubborn, and chunky.

When I first saw him in his predicament I thought it was a tooth brush holder which would have been no big deal to cut off. It maybe cost $5 go down and get a new one. But on closer inspection I noticed the real identity of the captor, an expensive blade Rae got for Christmas from her parents.

Lowell Jr. has had a fascination with guns for a little while now. His dad decided to try and teach him not to shoot his brother by putting stickers of "bad guys" on the walls and letting him shoot them with a Nerf gun. I think this fueled Lowell Jr.'s obsession and now every thing that can be used as a gun is used as a gun, including slicer blades.

Lowell Jr. was getting a bit frustrated by the time I arrived. His mom had tried butter, ice, soap, ice again and nothing was working. His dad, Lowell, came home from work early, about five minutes after I got there, to help with the situation.



Lowell tried every thing he could think of to not have to cut the blade off but to no avail. It took a little while to cut through the stainless steel blade without cutting his son. After all was well Lowell informed his son that he wasn't getting his allowance for a very long time.



Rae should write a book about her two boys and their creative amusements. She said it would probably make other mothers feel better about their own situations. The book would definitely would not be boring.

One time when I went up to pick up Bear from being baby-sat, Lowell Jr. had drawn a race track on the carpet in marker. I helped Rae scrub for over an hour and we still didn't get it all out. If you look closely you can still see remnants of his red race track.

Lowell Jr. and Hyatt are the cutest boys I know, that aren't my own children. I think it's good they are so cute because that may be the only thing keeping them alive sometimes, but they are a never ending source of entertainment for the rest of us.

1 comment:

Olerica said...

You know, Tiff? I've always had crushes on boys with lots of piss and vinegar. Your brother Lowell has been the object of a rather benign crush since the moment of our first meeting. I love stories like this, where one (finally) realizes that the spirited, bright and amusing little boy has grown into an amazing man. I'm cursed with "cousin crush".