Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Can I See You After Class

I was on my way out the door from my class today when my professor asked if he could speak to me for a moment.

Crap what did I do now!

He said he got a snotty email from someone in the class that accused him of writing my paper that he handed out to everyone on Monday.

My professor went on to ask me what my plans were for after this class. He asked me if I am tied to this area. I told him all my family is here and plus my husband is going to school at the moment so yes I was tied to this area.

Having run a newspaper before becoming a professor he said that having been around a lot of writers I can tell when someone has "it" and when someone does not. He said he believes I have "it". He said he thought I could make it in the big market if I wanted to and if I was willing to move.

Then he paid me a huge compliment. He said he is very impressed with my writing and he has enjoyed seeing me break out from the rest of the class so early in the semester.

Wow, I had to hide my huge smile so he didn't think it was going straight to my head.

He has a former student that he loves to talk about in class all the time, her name is Erin. He uses her as an example of an exemplary student that he wants us all to strive to be.

Well, he compared me to her today and said I have the potential to be that kind of student if I work hard. Wow, what a compliment.

He also said he didn't write very many recommendation letter but when it comes time he would gladly write one for me.

I am just grinning from ear to ear. However, I think he just made the class 100 times harder for me. Now I'm going to worry about letting him down and stress about if my writing is staying at the level he feels it should be.

These compliments throw me way outside my comfort zone. I have been an average student my whole life, and I'm sad to admit, I was fine with that. I have been just an average person my whole life, never the leader of the pack or trend setter. I hope I don't mess this up.

I love and have a passion for writing but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm good at it. It sure feels nice to hear that someone thinks my writing isn't too bad.

Wow, I thought I had a great day on Monday. I think this whole week has been surreal. Now I just have to keep up the hard work and show him I am worthy of his faith in me.

No comments: