Sunday, September 21, 2008

Book Review: Eragon & Eldest

I have never admitted to being a sci-fi fan. I've been really wanting a good book to read lately. Something I can sink my teeth into and will transport me into the book. I love getting lost in a book. I love when all I can do is think about the book when I'm not reading it.

I like to study the writing styles of those kind of books and try to figure out what they do different from other writer who just can't keep my attention.

My brother, Lowell, is a huge fan of the Eragon series. He's read the books multiple times and has been waiting, rather impatiently, for the last book to come out.

I had started a different book and just couldn't get into it. So I asked Lowell if I could borrow his Eragon book just to see what all the fuss was about. Frankly I had seen the movie and I was not impressed, but books are always better than movies so it was worth a try.

I couldn't put it down. For once when I was doing my chores all I wanted to do was get back to reading, I'm not a fast reader so I couldn't read it all in one sitting. Most of the time it's the other way around; I will think about how I need to be doing my chores as I'm sitting on my tuckus reading.

Christopher Paolini has a special talent for just the right mixture of detail, character development and story line to keep the reader mesmerized. He made it so my mind was so engrossed in the story that I did not have time to wonder what was going to happen next so every thing was a surprise.

I finished Eragon in just a couple days and couldn't get to Eldest fast enough. Most sequels are a big disappointment to me. They don't seem to be able to keep the pace with the first one. It's like the author thinks that the success of the first book will carry the second and it hardly ever does.

Eldest didn't have that problem. It was equally as good with Paolini's mixture. I really enjoyed how he developed Roran's character in this book. I think I am just as excited to find out what happens to him in book three as I am Eragon.

Paolini helps the reader fall in love with all the characters. I rooted for the villagers as they were trudging through their dilemma. My heart broke when friends would die or betray. I know books have to have conflict to survive scrutiny but one can't help but feel the pang of sadness when something doesn't go in Eragon, or Roran's favor.

Paonlini did need gruesome violence, filthy language or raunchy sex scenes to tell his story. He used his intelligent way with words to help you relax and enjoy the journey.

I think secretly most readers want to find out someday that they are truly someone special. That they have some secret lineage or ability that can be used to make this world more beautiful or peaceful. We all want to be someones hero.

Paolini made it easy to root for his characters. He is a very talented author and I am anticipating reading his third book.

This series and this author should not be judged by the movie they made. Personally I think Paolini should sue the makers of the movie for crucifying his beautiful story.

I know movie's can't put everything from the book into their story on screen. It would make the movie way too long. However, the movie left out very important details that were needed in telling the story. The most important thing the movie left out was the character development. Huge Mistake.

All in all I am glad I gave the books a chance to stand on their own. I have been well rewarded for it. I would recommend this book to anyone who could read.

No comments: