Friday, August 1, 2008

Their Punishment or Mine

I am probably like most parents, I hate punishing my kids. I never know if I am being too strict or too lenient. And punishing a three year old is just not my cup of tea.

Bear and Bud got into Beaner's candy the other day and ate it all but one piece. When confronted with it they both denied any wrong doing. Neither one knew how the box of sour patch kids got down from the shelf and devoured. It was nice of them to leave one for Beaner.

After repeated questions of what happened and how we informed the boys that they had one more chance to confess or their punishment was going to be more severe for lying. Bud finally confessed but Bear stuck to his guns. What do you do with a three year old who in most respects doesn't understand what is going on?

The boys were grounded to the house the next day and Bear had to go to bed right after dinner that night, which was about seven in the evening. And they both had to buy Beaner a new box of sour patch kids (Not that I want her to have more sugar).

I think it was more of a punishment on me than it was him. With Lynn and Brook Jr. over, and all the kids playing video games right out side Bear's bedroom door, Bear would not stay in his room. He would come out and flash is cutest smile thinking that would melt my heart enough to forget about putting him back to bed for the tenth time.

He did a lot better with the being grounded to the house part until I turned on the irrigation and everyone was out playing in the water. It was hard for me to get my daily work done and have to remember, "Oh yeah you're not suppose to be doing that."

Bud had a class all day yesterday so he had to move his grounding to today. I don't think he's going to have a problem with it because he and Brook Jr. just play video games and cars all day. So I don't think it's even a punishment for him.

Ooh I know what I should do, I should fill up his swimming pool. All the kids will go out and play in it and Bud won't be able to. He will have to watch all the fun from the window. Maybe then it will be a punishment for him. Wow I can be a mean mom some times. I just want him to learn the importance of being honest. There are way too many dishonest people in this world and I don't want my little boys growing up to be one of them.

But why do I have to be punished as well for their misdeeds? I guess that's called parenting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so know how you feel. I am always confused on if Alivia is going to grow up getting away with things she shouldn't. I feel bad when I punish her so after the punishment I sweeten her up. Then there are times I don't punish because I am nursing, cleaning or just to tired too! She knows when she can get away with things and she knows the looks that make me smile to make it nearly impossible to get mad at her. We really need to get together. MISS YA!