Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Good Deed Elves

I was watching the beautiful snow yesterday and it made me want to get out in it. I am the type of person that has a hard time doing something for the fun of it, but if it's work I have no problem. So I decided to shovel my driveway, that was my version of enjoying the snow.

After I was done with mine I didn't want to stop so I did my neighbors and then her neighbors. I had to come back inside after that because the boys were getting hungry.

As I was making lunch for them I thought of a goofy idea, why not make up some cute little cards and leave them on people's doors after we clear their walkways? I found an elf and wrote beside him:

Merry Christmas! You've been tagged by the Good Deed Elves. Please pass it on.

I picked the kids up from school and told them of my idea and they all loved it. We set out to make some people smile.

First on our list was Uncle Brook, because it was his first day at a new job and he wasn't excited about it.

I had his kids with me so I made them promise not to tell who it was.

That night he came over to pick up his kids and he commented that someone had shoveled his driveway and left a note. He started laughing and said, "It's pretty obvious who did it."

Me, being horrible at playing innocent said, "Oh yeah who was it." I was smiling but no fear I was drinking hot chocolate at the time and I hid behind my cup.

"My neighbors. Their driveway was too so I know it was them."

He came up with a brilliant idea, "I am just going to wait until the next time it snows and I will go plow their driveway and stick the note back on their door. That will show them."

I just smiled and said that would work, it fulfilled the "pass it on" part of the note.

I had made eight little cards. I thought the kids would get done with maybe five before they started complaining, but I was wrong. They did all eight and the only reason we quit was because it was dark.

We got caught a couple times and one lady even gave us $10 to go buy hot chocolate.

I think we all had fun and I hope the kids felt the joy that true service can bring. I know I had a great time, now I just need to figure out something else we can do to leave more note on people's doors.

2 comments:

Camie Marie said...

There you are, just being the amazing example I love so much!

Olerica said...

Tiff? This was probably my favorite entry. You rock.