Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Time Is Running Out

I can't believe summer is already half over. We have been so busy that this summer is flying by and here soon it will be nothing but a memory. Then all I'll have to write about is how school is kicking my butt, and I'm only taking one class again.

I am excited and nervous about my next class "Reporting and News Writing". I have been reading my textbook for the class, at least I hope it's the right textbook. I went off last semesters book list and went online and purchased them at a very discounted rate compared to the university book store. If the same teacher teaches the class I'm sure I'll be fine, but if not I may be screwed.

I've already read one of the four books for my class, "All The President's Men". It was good, I loved how it gave so much of the behind the scene struggles of what reporters have to go through to uncover the truth. It got me excited about learning more.

Every time I struggle with am I good enough to go into journalism, I start reading one of my textbooks and it solidifies that this is what I want to learn about. I just need to remind myself that I am not going to school to already know how to do this, I am going to learn how to do this. Then it takes off some of the pressure, but only some.

It also adds pressure that I am getting such a late start in life in my respective field. Most the kids I am going to school with are just that, kids. They are going to have an upper hand on me with advancing their careers because they will have longer to do so. I don't even know what exactly I want to do with a journalism degree. Newspapers are a dwindling enterprise, I don't want to be on TV or Radio, and everyone who has a computer can write online. What is there for someone who wants to be a journalist? I suppose I could write for magazines.

Maybe I will write for myself. I could pay all this money and time to learn how to better keep my journal exciting. Or maybe I could write my families newsletter again, but this time with more flare since I will be trained how to do it right.

I am funny. I need to take one step at a time, as a wise woman once told me (my mom), "There is a time and a season for every thing." I am just excited that after ten years of waiting it is my time to go to school and enjoy every minute of it, even when it stresses me out. When I'm done with school it will be time for something else, who knows maybe a career maybe not. My first priority is my family and raising my kids. When that's done perhaps the season for a career will open up.

No comments: