Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Goal #20 Give $100 away

I thought I'd have a lot harder time with this goal since I never seem to have $100 let alone a spare. I've always wanted to be the type of person that gives money away to people for doing kind deeds or if they were in need, but it's a different story when you really don't have the money to give. Maybe that's when it becomes more selfless and a greater blessing for me, I don't know.

The other day Big D and I found an envelope on the front seat of our car. It contained a $100 bill and neither of us knew where it came from. Big D had a hunch so he went and talked to our neighbor. Come to find out she wanted to pay us for helping her trim up her 80 foot Locus tree last year. We had rented a big boon to help us reach the top and it cost quite a bit of money. We were not expecting any compensation for it.

Now that we knew where the money came from our wheels began to turn. We thought about all the things we've been putting off that we needed: cloths, food, etc. Big D also recently got paid so we thought about just putting that money in savings and use it as a fall back when things got tight again, because with us that will probably be next week.

The next day I was sitting at my computer writing and browsing the net when I thought about something I wanted to do with the money. I wanted to help someone I knew whom needed the money worse than we did. However, Big D had a bit of a hard time the last time I tried to help but that was because he thought we were worse off than we were (Big D had a pretty big mess up with his paycheck; he ended up without one and we found out in the middle of our vacation).

I kept thinking about how I was going to approach Big D without getting him worked up. I thought about just giving this person the money anonymously and then telling Big D, but we don't keep those kind of secrets from each other.

That night Big D came in the quiet room and asked if we could talk. I quit what I was doing on my computer and listened to what he had to say. After he told me what he wanted to do with the $100 I started laughing, which through him off a bit. I explained to him that I had the same idea I was just trying to figure out how to approach him with it.

Now that we were both on the same page I went over and gave the money to this person. I sure hope they don't feel like a charity case because that is so not how we see them. We just love them so much and they helped us out a ton when we were having a hard time. I guess you could call it carpi Diem.

No comments: