Monday, January 19, 2009

Goal #17 Make Contact w/ Emily

I finally made contact with Emily, after two maybe three years. It was not from lack of trying on my part. The first time I tried to make contact she was detained. The second time I tried to find her she'd barely moved a week before I showed up. The third time I was at her apartment and I reached for the door handle to get out and my cell phone rang. It was my girls reminding me to pick them up from school, right then.

Needless to say, I've taken it as a sign from the Lord. I knew he wanted me to be ready but then I had to be patient for her to be ready.

I feel like I owe her one. It wasn't too many years ago that the roles were reversed. I was off the wall being rebellious and when I'd decided I'd had enough of the smoking, drinking, and partying I didn't have any "good" friends left. I was now a bad influence and no one wanted to be seen with me, which I don't blame them.

Well, Emily was the only one of my old friends that didn't judge me. Her mom was pretty cool too. Her mom didn't tell Emily she couldn't hang around me because I was bad, she invited me over to their house for Family Home Evening and dinner. Their whole family was very welcoming, I even ended up dating her brother for a bit.

One day on the bus coming home from school Emily said something that really stuck with me; she said I was lucky because when I get older and I tell my kids not to smoke or drink I will be able to give them real reasons why because I'd experienced it. She said all she'd be able to do was say, "Don't do it because it's bad". I wonder if she remembers saying that and I wonder how she feels about it now?

I am excited to have Emily back in my life. I know it's not going to be like old times. I know she's changed in a lot of ways, but I also know that she has many people who love her and I know she can come back from this. I believe it will only make her stronger, if she lets it. I know I'm a better person today because of all I've been through. No one has a perfect life, every one has a past. It's how we let that past affect our future that matters.

I just hope I can help Emily the way she helped me, if nothing else I hope I can be a good friend to her.

No comments: