Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Yukon Disaster

If we didn't have drama, life would be boring. Plus, I'd have nothing to write about.

We took a trip up to Washington for our cousin's wedding a few weekends ago. On the way up we decided to stop and check out this Yukon we found on Craig's List. We really weren't going to but we thought since we were in the area we might as well. We test drove it and then went on our marry way.

Big D has been wanting a bigger vehicle like this for a couple years now. I've been very impressed with how patient he's been and how diligent in finding just the right one.

Over the weekend we discussed it and decided to purchase it on the way home. I'm pretty sure having eight people crammed into a tiny mini van helped with the decision.

After the couple hour drive in our new Yukon Big D decided he didn't like the way the big truck tires sounded and felt on the freeway so he took it in to Les Schwab to see if there was anything they could do about it, short of all new tires. They gave him some options and rotated the tires for us.

Big D was really excited to see how the Yukon pulled our boat so we decided to go boating the next day. We invited Brook and his family to join us and we all headed out after work.

As soon as we pulled out of the driveway I asked Big D if he felt like the shaking was worse than before? He said he couldn't really tell yet. We got distracted about all the fun we were about to have and didn't broach the subject again.

We got all the way out to the reservoir and at the top of the boat ramp I could tell Big D was feeling something funny. He started turning the wheel back and forth and then we slammed into the ground. I thought we hit a huge pot hole, until I saw our front drivers side wheel rolling off down the ramp and into the reservoir.



I had to walk down the ramp and fish the wheel out. We were so lucky because there were tons of people out boating and all their expensive trucks where parked along side the ramp. Our wheel went right past all of the trucks and trailers, all the people and animals, we were so lucky!!! We were even more lucky, or should I say blessed, that it didn't happen five minutes earlier when we were going 75 mph down the freeway.



Brook hooked up the boat to his truck, thank goodness he was there. The funny thing is five minutes after it happened my brother, Lowell, called me and asked if we were all okay. I asked him how in the world he knew so fast. He laughed and said he was the center of the loop, he knows every thing, some times before they happen. I told him he could have given us a heads up then.

We called Les Schwab and they sent out a truck to fix us up so we could get home. After an hour of being the center of attention and having people telling us the obvious, "Wow, dude that sucks!" Les Schwab finally showed up. Big D calmly told them, "You've let me stew for an hour, I don't think this is the best time to talk to me. We are going boating, you fix the truck and park it on the side for us. I'll talk to you tomorrow." We left and went boating.



After we were done boating we had a mismatched wheel on our Yukon and six terrified people to ride home in it. We had Brook pull the boat home and we followed, slowly. I guess I just hope that this isn't the kind of "mark" we will be known for when we say we left our "mark" on this world.

1 comment:

Camie Marie said...

Mike and I are amazed. I'm so glad you were almost stopped when that happened. Angels are real!