Wednesday, June 10, 2009

TOFW

I went to Time Out For Women this last weekend. I am addicted to them. This was my third one. I guess if one must have an addiction this one isn't the worst, although it's not good for the pocket book.

At the very first of the meeting they asked us to turn to the people who were there for the first time and tell them this isn't church. After a good laugh we were then asked to write down things we know. Things we know beyond any doubt.

The first thing I knew is that the last time I was at TOFW me and my group took up almost the hole row. I had my two sister-in-laws whom I don't have anymore. This made me feel a bit lonely. But, I still had my mom, Grandma Lovely, and my mother-in-law, Grandma Ellen. We had a great time, but other's were greatly missed. Who knows maybe they will come with me next time.

Some of the other things I wrote down that I know is: I know I am at my most beautiful when I've been kissed by the spirit. It's not when I've bought a new outfit that hugs all the right curves and hides all the wrong ones. It's not after I've spent hours in front of the mirror. It's when I've served someone, when I've followed a prompting to hug a stranger or put my arm around someone at the temple. I feel beautiful when I've done what I know the Lord would want me to do.

Another thing I know is that music can heal the soul. Nine times out of ten when I was brought to tears at the conference it was during a song. And sometimes I started crying just as the music began, before any words were sang. I feel that music is the quickest way for the Lord to touch and communicate with you. It's his way of reaching out to hug you, and me.

I also know that beyond any doubt that when we build others up, we in turn build up ourselves. There is nothing better for my bouts of depression then to think about what I can do for someone else. It works every time. If I just think about someone in need of a service I can provide or visit a lonely neighbor I know that I too can be blessed by it.

The Relief Society motto is "Charity Never Faileth" and I believe that with all my heart. However, it's not just giving stuff to someone less fortunate, it's giving a piece of your heart to those less fortunate. I know that just because I might be the giver one day, there will come a day when I am the receiver. What an awesome motto!

The last thing that I came up with that I know for sure is that tears never fall without the Lord's knowledge. When we are at our lowest and feel so alone, He is there. When we are so happy we can't contain the joy and it comes spilling over our eyes, He is there. When we just need to release tension for no other reason than to let go, He is there. When we are listening to a beautiful song that touches our soul, He is definitely there.

I had a great time at TOFW. It filled my well. I can't wait until the next time I get to go. The great thing is, I don't have to wait until then to fill my well, it gets filled every week at church. The Lord truly has an awesome gospel and I'm so grateful to be apart of it.