Saturday, June 28, 2008

Not-So-Surprise Birthday Party

Bug came home from a birthday party a couple months ago that took place at the Red Lion Hotel. The little girls family rented a room and invited some friends over for a sleep over. They went swimming, ate pizza, watched movies, and anything else the girls wanted to do. Well, after she got home and bragged about how much fun she had, Bud decided he wanted his birthday celebration at the Red Lion.

Bud's birthday was still six months away, but he kept telling everyone his party was going to be at the Red Lion and inviting them to come along. At first I thought he'd forget all about it so I didn't say anything. His birthday got closer and he kept inviting people. Last week I called the Red Lion to see how much it was going to cost us and I gotta say, I don't think so.

Since he wasn't giving up the idea we decided surprise him and bring the Red Lion to our house. We sent out invitations for a surprise birthday party, we bought him a pool, and filled up lots of water balloons (not something you could play with at a hotel).

After having to hush my kids for the hundredth time I knew the party wasn't going to be a surprise any longer. It wasn't until my mother-in-law told me that she had to bring Bud home early from birthday shopping because he didn't want to be late for his party that I really knew my attempt to surprise my little boy was futile.


The party turned out great, we let him open his pool right after breakfast. We filled it up and I don't think any of them got out of the pool until 9:30 pm when we had to drag them out. I was a bit nervous he'd be all pooled out before his friends showed up and the party started.


The cake was a big hit with not only Bud but with Bear. He kept asking to play with the cars. When it came time to blow the candles out Bear was a bit to anxious and blew them out first.

I think next time I decide to try my hand at a surprise party, it's going to be a surprise for everyone.

No comments: