Thursday, June 12, 2008

How I Deal with Stress

Is there a right way or wrong way to deal with stress? Some of us eat when we are stressed, other's do the opposite. Some of us get angry and take it out on those we love the most, other's curl up in a ball and cry. But, I've heard rumors that some people handle stress in calm loving ways. Now I've never met any of those people, so right now we will have to assume it is an urban myth.

How do I deal with stress? Well, when I was a teenager I starved myself because it was the only thing I had control over. I was warned I wouldn't be able to have children if I didn't start taking care of myself, so I decided I'd better take a bite. I think now I've gone the opposite direction and now I eat when I'm stressed.

I am also a bit of a crier. Don't get me wrong I hate crying, but sometimes it's just what I need so I don't turn into the ugly monster who takes their anger out on others.

I am not one of those people who can cry anywhere or with anyone. I can cry to my mom or Big D but most of the time it is just me snuggled into my bed with the covers over my head so I don't scare my kids.

Once I have finally allowed myself to cry it is amazing how much better I feel. I can truly make it one more day. Everyone is different in dealing with stress whether it be exercise, sports, or just a nice cup of Jo. We all need a release some times. Try it and see how good you feel.

No comments: