Monday, June 23, 2008

House Guests

It is not hard to make my house feel even smaller than it's 980 square feet. When my cousin D comes to visit with her family, four kids one husband, they double the capacity in my house, the fire martial would have been mortified. On top of all that I had my niece, Lynn, and Nephew, Brook Jr. If you are doing the math that is 14 people in my tiny house for three days.

Despite the lack of room to hide, we all had a great weekend. Usually I get to stay up until the wee hours of the morning talking and catching up with my cousin. We used to spend our summers together so we know each others friends and each time with have to go through them one by one to see how their lives have changed.

We did stay up until the wee hours of the morning, but we were never without kids. D and I have kids all similar in age and they are all getting to the age where they can stay up late, probably later than us. We didn't get to sit down and catch up until right before they were heading back home.

The person I most felt sorry for was D's husband, Six. He is a huge sports fan, with probably every sport I'm not quite sure. He has a huge screen TV with ESPN at his house. Then he has to come and visit his wife's cousin who not only does not have ESPN, but she doesn't even have a TV. It's no wonder they only come and visit once a year.

If nothing else came out of this weekend, it helped me to appreciate only having six kids running around my small house all day. Isn't it funny the small pleasures we have in life? It was a pleasure for my cousin to visit and it's a pleasure for them to go home. I'm sure they feel the same way when I visit, the only difference is their house is probably 2400 square feet.

I look forward to their next visit, as does my kids. I wonder if Six feels the same way?

No comments: