Friday, November 14, 2008

Don't Shoulda All Over Yourself

The other day I was talking to my stepmother, Honey. I was going on about stuff I should have done when she told me, "Don't shoulda all over yourself."

There is a lot of wisdom in that comment. How many times do we beat ourselves up for things we wish we would've done?

I am the queen of that.

I wish I would've had the courage to write for the school newspaper in high school or even join the yearbook staff. No I was too worried about what other people thought of those activities.

I am notorious for walking away from a situation and kicking myself for not saying something witty or asking an important question.

My girlfriend, C, came up for a wedding a couple months ago. She forgot her temple recommend and was feeling a bit foolish for doing so. It was the third time she's forgotten her recommend. Her husband was ribbing her after she'd been cleared to enter the temple when one of the Priesthood workers pulled them both aside and gave them a very wise piece of advice:

"Don't ever think about this moment again. The minute you look back with doubt, you let the Devil in. It's over, and you can't go back to change what's already happened. Look forward and Do Not let Satan tempt you to look back. That's what keeps us from progressing and listening to the Spirit."

I loved that coucil and I know I can use that in my own life. It's funny how both forms of coucil say the same thing, just with different flavors.

Thank you Honey and C for your wonderful advice.

1 comment:

Camie Marie said...

It's so true. We (and I mean many, many people) spend so much time wishing for different memories. I'm glad you are so open for new council. It's why you're such a wonderful person.