Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spring Cleaning

My sister came home for the weekend and stopped by to see me. She asked me if I'd been to the cemetery lately, her fiance is buried right behind my son. I told her I was out there just last week and she asked if I knew they were doing Spring cleaning. I did and I already cleaned off Sweeton's grave. "So you know that every thing is gone then?" she said. I didn't quite follow what she was saying and she explained they cleaned everything: wind chime, little duck, car, and shepherd's staff all gone. Well I didn't know that and I was livid. We drove over there last night but the office was closed up for the night. We drove back out this afternoon and dug through everyone sentimental objects in search for our own. I have to admit that it is a bit frigid today. We found every thing that goes on Sweeton's grave except his car. That is one of the main things I really wanted to find. Big D put that on Sweeton's grave and it's the only thing he has ever put on his grave. So it probably means more to me, that I find it, than it means to him. I am planning on going back in a few days after other people have gone through and found their stuff. Maybe they will uncover the car.

My sister found a couple things that belong on her fiance's grave. The one thing she really wanted to find was a key that was inscribed with, "You hold the key to my heart". We didn't find it but she said she is just going to get another one. I guess I could do that, buy another car, but would it mean the same if it isn't a gift from Sweeton's dad?

The cemetery employee's did warn us that they do this deep of a Spring Cleaning about every ten years when they 'stuff' gets too deep, that is really good information. I just hope I remember in ten years so I can take the stuff before they do. I know it is just stuff and it's not like Sweeton needs it, but it brings us comfort when we visit and the air is filled with the sweet music from the chimes, his twin brother plays with the car and makes the duck quack with a squeeze of it's belly. The stuff helps me feel like I am doing something for my baby that I no longer get to hold.

No comments: