Saturday, July 24, 2010

One Night in Pittsburgh



One night Big D got off work a little early and he asked where I wanted to go to dinner. Well, I'd been doing research all morning about the places I wanted to go and see so I knew just how to answer that question. We went to the Grand Concourse which is the old train station turned restaurant. I couldn't quit looking at the beautiful architecture. Oh, and the food... it was amazing. Big D had the steak that just melted in your mouth, I kept stealing a bite. I had this salad called Martha's Vineyard drizzled with raspberry vinaigrette talk about magnificent. I think the atmosphere added to our food delight.



After dinner we decided to take one of the cities two inclines up the side of Mount Washington. I guess the city used to have over a dozen of these inclines and that is how people got to and from the city before all the tunnels were done being built through the mountain.



The incline car we just go out of, it was a fun ride up as the beautiful view opened up.



Up top there was so much to see. There were about four different platforms you can stand on all along the side of the mountain. We had to try each one of them out. Big D had been up top when he was in Pittsburgh back in May. He really wanted me to stay and see the city after sunset and all the light come on. It might be because we are small town folk but it was amazing! I wish I knew how to use my camera good enough that I could've taken a picture of the city scape with all the lights, but unfortunately I don't.



There were so many bridges along this small stretch of river. I think I counted more than ten. And me with my phobia of driving over water. I had to learn to get over that real fast. The bridges were even beautiful.



I have an addiction to old churches, as some of you already know. I love the doors, windows and oh the architecture, I love architecture. This little beauty was right behind us as we were over looking the city. There are beautiful churches all over Pittsburgh. The sad thing is, with all my driving around I did not see even one LDS church. I tried to look up the nearest temple only to find out that Pennsylvania's first temple is still under construction in Philadelphia, dang it.

I still had a wonderful time enjoying all of the Lords many splendors. It is so beautiful back east. There is more rolling hills in Pittsburgh than there was in the Boston area. There were hills and valleys everywhere. One thing that did feel the same as Boston was all the trees. It was so green and just refreshing.

No comments: