Sunday, July 25, 2010

Kentuck Knob

I didn't know there was another Frank Lloyd Wright home in Pennsylvania. Kentuck Knob was only seven miles away from Fallingwater. I guess about twenty years ago a Lord from London was touring Fallingwater when he heard there was another home and it was on the market. Being an international real-estate investor and an avid art collector he jumped at the opportunity to own an original Frank Lloyd Wright.



The home still being privately owned made it so we couldn't take pictures on the inside. The Lord used the house as his families summer home for the first decade after purchasing it. Although they still holiday here they don't stay in the house except to entertain. They purchased the property next door and that is where they stay when on holiday.



Toward the end of Frank Lloyd Wright's life he decided to start signing his homes. He only visited this home once. After completion he sent an apprentice to install this tile but the front door. Fallingwater does not have a signature.



I loved the skylights on the back deck. They are opened to the sky, which I learned because I thought they were covered with glass.



Through out the entire home there are only two ninety degree angles, talk about a challenge for the stone cutters and carpenters.



Behind the house there is this lovely path that takes you on a journey through the Lord's art collection. He purchased over seventy acres with Kentuck Knob. With that much room to fill with artwork you can imagine how big some of it is.



This sculpture is a field of dancing figures twenty-five across and forty deep. It made me think of someone wanting to throw a party. The guest list wouldn't have to be too big because he already has all of his dancers.



Yep, apple core. All I could think was when I was in junior high and we'd play that stupid game: "Apple core who's your friend" and then you'd point to someone and that's who would get the apple core thrown at them. I don't think I'd want this apple core thrown at me. It was about ten feet tall.



I don't know if this was suppose to be art or a play area for the kids. It was made up of four quarter circle sections of stalked stones with about a two foot gap in between. My kids would use that as a fort.

He had many many more pieces of art all over his property. I had a wonderful time exploring his property.

No comments: