Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Give a Day, Get a Day

We decided back in February that we would earn a free day in Disney World. Grandma Honey helped us come up with the idea of what to do.



We decorated bags and filled them with goodies.



We also cut out and sewed stuffed monsters.



All this hard work went to a local hospital.



They hand them out to little kids who either have to stay in the hospital or are at the hospital a lot visiting a family member who is sick.



All the kids did great. It took us all day and none of them complained.



By the time we were done we had about thirty monsters and over a dozen goody bags. I think that's pretty good for a days work.

We had a great time in Disney World, how could you not. We split the day up, Big D and I took the boys and Papa Guy and Grandma Honey took the girls and then we switched.



We had a hard time getting the boys to go on any rides. We tricked them into going on this airplane Goofy ride and both boys were hanging on for dear life.



Next we went on the tea cups and that was a mistake for Big D, he got queasy afterward.



Both the boys enjoyed this ride because it didn't leave the ground.



When they saw the speed way they wanted to go. After we were done with the first go around, and a thirty minute wait in line, Bud wanted to go again.



Bud got his wish because halfway through the ride Big D and Bear's car broke so they let us all go again without having to stand in line. I wonder if they wrecked their car because the driver couldn't see over the steering wheel?



When we got to trade I was super happy to ride some more "grown up" rides. So we went on the magic carpet...not so grown up if you ask me.



The girls were getting on my nerves so I locked them up for a bit till they had an attitude adjustment.



I don't know what kind of special powers Grandma Honey had but she could get the boys to go on rides, fun rides. The first time she took the boys on Pirates of the Caribbean Bear got a little freaked out when the went over a little waterfall. He grabbed Honey and screamed, "I thought you said this wasn't a fast ride!" By the end of the evening Bud was saying, "Man, I sure wish I could go on the pirate ride just one more time." So, of course, Honey took them one more time.



The hats were super cute but I couldn't spend $40 a hat for four kids, so we took a picture of them. Oh, and Big D too. Some times I swear I have five kids.



This isn't the best picture, but we were on Splash Mountain. We got to ride this one back to back too because it was while everyone else was watching the fireworks. My philosophy is: you've seen one firework show you've seen them all, lets ride.



It was great being able to take our kids there. I hope it was a magical place for them. I feel a little bad because they didn't get excited to meet any of the characters because they didn't know who any of them are. That is one of the draw backs of not having a TV.



By the end of the evening we were all toast, my big toe was in a coma, and Bear didn't think he could walk anymore (thank goodness for the $15 Wal-Mart stroller we picked up). I hope they look back and think to themselves how great it was to give service and get two wonderful days full of fun memories in return: one serving and one playing.

1 comment:

Camie Marie said...

I LOVED your service project!! Would you/your mother-in-law have a pattern I could use?! :) I find it hilarious that YOUR boys had a hard time with the rides. With their dad?!! I'm so glad you had fun!! What great memories!!!