Sunday, April 11, 2010

Big Weekend

It was a big weekend for us. We went out to Papa Guy and Grandma Honey's to help with branding their cattle. The kids went out the night before and I waited until Big D was done with a service project of cleaning the cemetery. By the time he got home he was so tired he didn't want to go. He asked me to cut his hair right as I was getting ready to leave and I told him I'd do it that evening when I got home.



Branding went pretty quick because they had a lot of help. Not me of course, I was there in a documentary position only. I think one guy ended up with a concussion from being danced on by one of the calves. A couple guys ended up a little bloody. My Uncles Mike and Jeff got diarrhea shot all over them. There are many MANY reasons I stay on the other side of the fence.



This little man, Aiden, belongs to my cousin Rachel and her husband Jared. I thought he was so cute watching his dad wresting with those cows. He looks like a future cowboy. Who knows maybe a couple more years and he can be in the pin with the big boys.



The darn shoot kept breaking down. I think this was about the fourth time. Some of those cows were trying to escape so hard that they would slam against the on side of the shoot and lift the other side off the ground. No wonder it kept breaking.



This is Bear watching all the fun. As you can see from his bum, the cow pies did not elude him.



When we got home from Papa's I was surprised to see Big D had taken the shears into his own hands. Every time I looked at him I'd bust up laughing.



He had this perfect one inch white stripe around one ear, circling the of his neck, and back up over the other ear. I think next time he will be more patient and wait for me to get home. I asked him if he learned his lesson and he said probably not. Some how I believe him.



As if the tooth fairy hasn't come to our house enough this week, Bud decided the first go around was exciting enough to want to do it again. He showed us at Church today that his other front tooth was loose. I told him the more he played with it the less it would hurt and we were definitely pulling it when we got home.



He didn't want a repeat of the other night so he worked really hard to get it as loose as possible. It worked, Big D didn't even need floss this time. He reached in and yanked. There were no tears, no losing the tooth (once it was pulled), and very little blood. He is going to make the tooth fairy have to take our a small business loan if he doesn't slow down. I think he really wants to enjoy himself in Florida. Too bad the tooth fairy will be too broke to enjoy herself.

No comments: