Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Babies are Growing Up

I just sent my two girls off to Florida for a week with their grandparents. I am excited for them but stressed for me. I've never had my kids that far away from me. The mother in me thinks of all the things that can go wrong as I'm stuck on the other side of the country.

Big D gave each of us a Father's Blessing on Sunday and that has really helped. I've actually been more excited for them. This is a once in a life time opportunity and I'm happy they get to experience it. I'm extremely grateful that Papa Guy and Grandma Honey invited them to go. I know they are in good hands.

I tried to get the girls set up for what ever they may need. I bought them snacks and activities for the plane ride. I even asked some people to write the girls letters about a vacation they had or something special about the girls. I wanted them to have something to read if they got scared or homesick, which I bet they will be having way too much fun to have that as a problem.

Thank you to everyone who helped me with that!!!

I also wrote each of the girls a bedtime story with them as the hero saving the day. I think they turned out pretty cool. I'm excited to hear what they think of them. I put the stories and letter plus some other surprises in the carry on bag and told them they couldn't peek until they were on the plane.

Big D said I went a little over board, I say it's just the mother in me wanting to cram a weeks worth of love in a tiny backpack.

I hope they have fun and I look forward to hearing from them. Grandma Honey and Papa Guy are pretty good about having the girls call me to check in. I think they just know that I freak out a lot.

I worry that I'm a bit too over protective and I'm smothering them. I guess I'll never know until down the road when I get a phone call from their therapist inviting me to a session.

1 comment:

Camie Marie said...

Huge sigh. I was stressing for you until I read they went with grandparents. Man...you're hilarious. I love everything you set up for them cuz that is almost exactly what I've done in the past - just for sleepovers. ;) There are always more surprises along the way with our wonderful friendship. ;) Love You!