Thursday, March 19, 2009

They R Going 2 Kick Me OUT

I was in the Young Women program for about three or four years, I can't remember the exactness. I have now been out of the program for about five years.

I know leaders are suppose to love all their young women, and I did. However, there is a select few that I call "MY" young women. Girls that I got really close with as I watched them grow and as they let me be a part of their lives.

Since being released I have attended two of my girls' weddings in the temple, Yeah for them. One of my girls got pregnant and then married, a bit disappointing but understandable. No matter how hard we try to influence these girls they still have their free agency. She has since given birth to a beautiful baby boy and has made plans to get sealed to her new little family in a couple months.

Now, just today, I was informed that one of "MY" young women came out of the closet. I can't say I'm totally surprised by the news but I am hugely disappointed. She is living with another of the young women from our group, not one of "MY" young women, but none the less still one of the young women. So I guess you could say TWO of the young women have come out of the closet.

They have invited us, me and my family, to their ring ceremony. I don't know what to do with this invitation. I feel horrible for their families, but I feel worse for them: this is not an easy road they have chosen for themselves. Even in this day and time when the terms Gay and Lesbian are more radially accepted in the world, they aren't accepted in the LDS faith.

I know that being LDS we don't condone same sex relationships, but I still love my young woman. I want to go to show her that she is still loved, but I don't want to support that lifestyle. I don't want to confuse my children any more than they already are with what is acceptable and what is not.

We've already had to sit our kids down and explain Gay and Lesbian to them. Big D's niece came out of the closet a few years ago. We've had to teach our children that we can still love the person even when we don't love the choices they've made.

I'm sure once "MY" young woman's news gets fully "out" they are going to kick me out of the Primary for fear that my leadership skills are a bit lacking. Who knows how many of these poor innocent children I'm going to screw up.