Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I've Been Scammed

I ordered some of those new Acaiberry pills online, to be honest, because Oprah recommended them. They are suppose to be this new super food discovered in the Amazon or something. They are suppose to be a natural pill to help with weight loss, or so I thought. Any who, it was a scam.

The add said all I had to pay was for the shipping and handling on the first bottle to see if I liked them then they would send me more. I thought it was worth a try, I'm getting desperate to see some more results than I have been seeing.

What I didn't know was the company was only giving me a 15 day trial with the pills and if I didn't like them to send them back, with in the 15 days, for a full refund. Sounds like any other advertisement I guess, but I didn't know about the 15 day trial period I must have missed that part when ordering.

I get these pills in the mail and it says at the end of these 15 days they were going to charge my account $88.62 for the pills. WHAT!?! I would never order pills that expensive. So I sent the pills back the next day with a highlighted price and a "HELL NO" on the receipt.

After I sent the pills back I called the company to let them know that I sent the pills back and to not charge my account. They said they would close my account and thank you for your business.

All taken care of right? Wrong!

A week later my husband called me with a question on our bank statement. I didn't know what he was talking about so I looked it up and sure enough this company pulled the money out of my account. I was pissed.

I got on the phone and asked them what did they think they were doing. They were trying to tell me that I didn't call them until two weeks after I really did and that my 15 days had expired even though I'd sent back the product the day after I received it in the mail.

First off they started counting days the day I ordered the pills. So even though I didn't have the pills in my hand or even in the mail those days were already counting down.

That is dishonest and I don't care what they say.

What they weren't counting on is I had a tracking number placed on the package that I sent back. They were trying to tell me that my time period was up on the fourth of February and I said that's great because I show that you received the pills back on the fourth of February.

The dude on the other end of the phone shut up after that one. He told me my money would be credited back to my account in five to ten business days.

Ten business days was over a week ago and still nothing.

I called my bank to put a stop payment on the account in case they tried to pull money again. I was talking to the bank teller and she said I was about the tenth person to call complaining about this company and trying to stop payment because they kept taking money out of their accounts and not even shipping any product to them.

She said the company was sneaky because in order to stop payment on something the company has to be asking for the exact amount your stopping; this company asks for a different amount every time they pull money to get around this rule.

I thought I was screwed until I remembered we'd recently received new debit cards and I used my old card to purchase the pills. I asked her if she could stop payment on any one trying to pull money with my old card number and she said yes.

Sweet, a ray of hope. I just hope all the places we used our old card have already gotten their money or this could turn into a bigger problem. But I think we've had our new ones long enough that it won't be a problem.

So here is where I get on my soap box. If you read an advertisement about a lady who started taking a colon cleanser pill and acaiberry pills together and has lost a dramatic amount of weight in a very short period of time DO NOT BELIEVE IT. It is such a scam.

Since this has happened I've ran into this same story three different times. The story is the EXACT same, verbatim, only the pictures and name has changed. It says you can leave comments at the bottom of the stories so people can give their feed back on their own stories, SCAM. I tried leaving a comment to warn people it was a scam and it will say the website is having technical problems and can't post my comment or it will say too many people have left comments that the comment box is full.

I've always thought I was way to smart to ever fall for a scam, but nope. With technology growing in leaps and bounds, so is crime and dishonesty. I've come up with a new rule that if the website isn't a reputable website like Amazon or EBay, I am not going to order anything. I know people have been dooped on EBay before too but at least EBay is trying to make their site as safe as they can.

I'm glad I only got swindled out of a couple hundred dollars. Some people get scammed out of thousands, sometimes their entire life savings, but I'm still pissed. It's not like my family can afford to just had people money for no reason. We donate thousands of dollars to charities every year but that goes for a good cause and that we choose to do, this is different. This money went to greedy dishonest people who deserve a big spanking and to be grounded for at least five to ten years.

2 comments:

Camie Marie said...

Acai....the new wonder berry. I'm sorry this happened, but man...I'd hate to have been the man in your way! ;)

Anonymous said...

THAT REALLY IS HORRIBLE. I AM ON THE SPECIAL K DIET AND REALLY LIKE IT. IT HAS BEEN WORKING WELL.I WAS WORKING OUT A LOT BUT NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT. I HATE DIETS CAUSE I AM NOT A HEALTHY EATER BUT I LOVE CEREAL AND THEY HAVE MORE THAN JUST CEREAL TO EAT THEY HAVE WAFFLES AND SNACK BARS AND CRACKERS. I HAVE ALSO BECOME A HUGE FAN OF CRYSTAL LIGHT!I LOST 3 LBS/WEEK.