Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Lord's Hand in April 2009

4/30/09~ My last day of class, YEAH! So far I'm getting an 'A' but if I totally tank the final that could change. I guess that could happen because I've totally lost interest in this class. I still have tons of reading to do before I take the final. It's a good thing I get to take the test twice and get the highest score for my grade. I need an 'A' though, I want an 'A'. I guess I'd better get reading then.

4/29/09~ I swear the sun is boycotting. Just when I start to chirp up and get all excited about life again, the sun goes behind a cloud and I'm instantly ticked off. I so need the sun to come out and stay out.

4/28/09~ Just trying to wrap end-of-semester stuff up. It's a bit difficult with six of us being in school. It is nice for me and Big D to get out a couple weeks before the kids. There is just as much to do for them at the end of the school year as there is for us to do. Bug went up to the college and had one of her science classes. She learned about Indian cultures and how they survived long ago. She really enjoyed it. The kids were a bit jealous when she came home with a bag of yummy squished berries to eat.

4/27/09~ We planted the garden for FHE tonight. I know it's probably way too early, I'm praying not. We have to get it done when both Big D and I have the time together. The kids all helped and I think we had fun. For the second portion of our FHE we took it inside and learned about what to do if approached by a stranger. Big D wanted to let the kids know what it felt like to be grabbed and to know how NOT easy it is to fight back. He had each of the kids take turns getting within grabbing reach. He told them they could do whatever they wanted to too get loose: kick, scream, bite, etc. I think the kids thought it was fun and games until daddy used most of his strength to subdue them then they realized it wasn't funny anymore. We wanted to teach the kids that it is a very real danger and no matter how many tricks they think they have to get away they are no where near as strong as an adult. My poor nephew, Brook Jr., thought he was going to get away quick. He made a good effort but as soon as he started kicking and Big D grabbed his legs so he couldn't move at all Brook Jr's eyes started rolling in the back of his head. He was seriously freaked out. I think they all got the message.

4/26/09~ We celebrated my nephew, Matt's, birthday at Grandma Ellen and Papa Dave's house. He decided he wanted steak for dinner, thank you, and we all ate way too much. I never used to be a steak lover until I tried a steak that my father-in-law cooked. Wow, it was good. That and I love to put Winger's sauce on it, so does Bug.

4/25/09~ We all went out to Papa Guy and Grandma Honey's to help with branding. I don't know how many cattle they actually branded but I do know there was at least two injuries. T.T. fell off a fence and got a stick in the eye, I hope he'll be okay. Lowell was wrestling a really big calf...and slipped in a pile of poop and sprained his ankle :) I told him that I'd man up the story a bit before he goes to work on Monday.

4/24/09~ Big D and I went to the temple today. It was so nice that I had a huge smile on my face the hole time, I probably looked like an idiot. We happened to run into my in-laws in the same session. I was actually thinking on the way up to the temple that we should've invited them to go up with us, but I didn't think they would've been out of work by the time we went. It all worked out for the best anyway. We ended up being able to do some sealing too. I love going to the temple! There were a few changes though. We ask how long ago they made these changes and, of course, it was over a year ago. Wow, I felt stupid that I've let it go that long since going to the temple. Hopefully we don't let that happen again.

4/23/09~ The kids are all out of school for the rest of the week, except Bear. I am suppose to be in class right now but I had to skip on account that Bug isn't quite old enough to babysit for that long. Hopefully my professor isn't going over anything critical, just finals stuff I'm sure. I am so glad school only has three weeks left, well actually only two after today. YEAH!!! Big D is excited too, he has his last big presentation in class tonight and I hope he can quit stressing after he's done.

4/22/09~ Busy Busy Day! I feel like I've been running around with my head cut off. Bug had to finish up her science fair project and get that turned in. We had Exhibition Expedition tonight where we go to the kids school and they show us what they've been working on in the past quarter. The kids had so much fun showing us, mainly their dad, around their classrooms that they didn't want to leave. I am very happy with how well they are all doing.

4/20/09~ The girls had their piano recital tonight. They both did so good. I am so proud of how hard they worked on their songs. Auntie Rae, their piano teacher, asked all her students to memorize their songs and Bug and Beaner did. Rae even complimented Beaner because she was the very first one to have her song memorized and ready to play. I think that really boosted Beaners self-esteem.

4/19/09~ I have been feeling great lately, it helps that the suns been out for a few days. We even went out to the reservoir yesterday to check the water levels and throw rocks in. I took about a thousand (not an exaggeration) pictures of the kids and the surroundings. We had a great day yesterday. Today was just as nice. I got asked to do Sharing Time at the last minute but I didn't panic and I think I did pretty good. I don't know why I get so nervous standing up in front of people, but I do. Who knows, maybe by the time I get released from this calling I'll feel right at home in front of an audience.

4/18/09~ Today was family hair cut day. We all got our hair cut for the summer, yeah! I even cut my hair off, up to my shoulders. I wanted to still be able to pull it back in a pony tail for when I workout. Bug donated her hair to Locks of Love. Her hair cut makes her look older. Beaner got a trim, but still adorable. She's afraid people aren't going to be able to tell that she got a hair cut too. I don't know what she's worried about she is cute as a button. The boys, all three of them, got shaved. Big D got a bit impatient waiting for me to cut his hair so he did it himself. He is getting very self sufficient. He couldn't do any worse cutting his own hair than his last barber's been doing.

4/17/09~ Registration for next semester starts today. I've decided that I should probably start taking my math courses and get them out of the way while I'm only taking one class a semester. However, before I can start math I have to retake the math placement test again. Apparently, math courses have a shelf life and I have to start all over. I'm a bit nervous because it's been about fifteen years since my last math class and I really don't want to waist my time and money on entry level math classes. I know I'd benefit immensely but I just don't want to. So I found a website that helps go over what kind of math is on these exams and I've been studying all day. It's starting to come back to me and make sense again but I still have a long way to go. Right now I think my brain is on numbers overload. It sounds so easy when your reading the explanation but then when I go to practice on a problem, especially story problems, it's all Japanese. It's a good thing they let you take this exam as many times as you want, you just have to pay $5 each time and wait a certain period of time. I've got all summer to pass it, let's hope it doesn't take me that long, I need to save my $ to actually pay for next semester.

4/16/09~ I took the girls in to get their eyes checked. They both have expressed problems seeing certain things and Bug actually had a test at school that said she needed to go in for a formal exam. Thank goodness neither one needs glasses. We have good vision insurance but it would be one more thing to have to worry about them taking care of. I'm only one mom.

4/15/09~ A lady in my ward called and asked if I'd feed the missionaries. I told her I could do it Wednesday but that was probably the only night. Needless to say, today is Wednesday and I spent hours cooking, something my family hasn't seen me do for awhile. I put together a great meal and had Big D call the missionaries when he got home from work to see if we needed to pick them up of if they were going to walk over. They informed us that it is their 'P' day and they don't do appointments. What!?! My family sat down and proceeded to have a very nice missionary dinner without the missionaries. I think Big D thought I was going to be upset so he started complimenting the meal and talking to the kids like they were the missionaries. I didn't know it but Sister Beaner is from China.

4/14/09~ It snowed all day, is this a joke or something. I thought it was suppose to be Spring. The snow didn't stick around, it melted as soon as it hit the ground, but that is beside the point. I NEED Spring to be here, really be here. I am battling the Winter blues something fierce. I want the sunshine on my skin. Wow, I'm a whiner I think I'm getting sick, poor Big D.

4/13/09~ My sister Ann came up this weekend. I love it when my sisters come home. I wish Marie was able to come home this weekend, but maybe next time. Ann is dog sitting for a friend for a week so she brought the dog. She is a Yorkie, just like Kinnzi, but quite a bit bigger than Kinnzi. Her name is Abby and she is a doll. I don't know how old she is but she is very well behaved. We were a bit nervous with how she'd take to Kinnzi but Abby was in her own little world. It was Kinnzi who ended up having the problem, you'd think it was Kinnzi who was taken out of her element. Kinnzi finally got used to having Abby around, she still didn't like it, but she was used to it.

4/12/09~ Happy Easter! We don't do much for Easter. Just like all the other holidays, it's getting way too commercial. We did an egg hunt, but I stuffed money in the eggs instead of candy. Each kid ended up with about $5. I hope I'm not scaring them. They are probably going to grow up needing a lot of therapy to help them deal with their deprived childhood.

4/11/09~ My beautiful niece, Renee, got baptised today. I hope she felt special having so much family there to support her. Her father, Itchy, gave a wonderful talk on baptism and her Aunt Shauna gave a nice talk on the Holy Ghost. It was funny because Itchy thought he was suppose to give the Holy Ghost talk so that's what he prepared for. You could see the total shock on his face when the Bishop announced who was giving which talk. It's so nice that he is so close to the spirit to be able to get up and give a very compelling talk with absolutely no preparation. He did awesome! I am so proud of how well he did through out the entire evening. Renee is truly loved.

4/9/09~ Big D and I were able to steal away for a secret rendezvous, we went out to lunch. I thought I'd surprise him and try to cheer him up a bit. I think it worked. When he came home from work he was in a really good mood, and he had still had to go to school so that's saying a lot. It makes me feel good when I can make him feel good.

I noticed as I was taking Brook and Andy's engagement photos that I really needed a reflector. A lot of the pictures had them with raccoon eyes. I could not find a store within a 50 mile radius of me that sold them. So I called down to C and asked if she'd find one and send it to me before this weekend, I'm going to take more engagement photos of Brook and Andy. C, the wonderful friend she is, ran out and bought me one and sent it home with her sister. She is such a life saver. Thank you so much C!!!

4/8/09~ Big D got some discouraging news on his last test. He didn't do as well as he would like. Now we have switched places and he is the depressed one and now I am babying him. I'm happy to do it although I wish I could do something to make him feel better and buoy him up a bit more than I am. I hate seeing him so down as I'm sure he hates it when I'm down. It is going to be so nice when this semester is over and we have all summer to lick our wounds and recoup before we start anew next semester.

4/7/09~ Happy Birthday Bear!!! He is one spoiled little boy. Papa Guy and Grandma Honey stopped by to give him a monster truck that rolls over cars. Papa Dave and Grandma Ellen took him out to dinner and to the store to pick out what ever he wanted, he came home with four things. Bud tried to talk him into getting something for him but I told him No (his birthday is in two months, he can wait for his own shopping trip). Bear got to take cupcakes to school to share with his friends. I think he ended up eating at least three himself. He was doped up on sugar when it came time for bed. I'm surprised he actually stayed in bed when I put him down.

4/6/09~ Still working on the pictures for Brook and Andy. I hope I will have some ready to share in a bit. It's amazing to me that taking the picture is the easy part, getting them all cleaned up and pretty is the hard part. Who knows, maybe if I would've taken a better picture it wouldn't be as hard to make them pretty. I'm learning as I go. I hope Brook and Andy will like them. We celebrated Bears birthday today, since Big D has school tomorrow. We took him and some cousins to McDonald's for a happy meal and play time on the toys. I think they enjoyed themselves. I love it when they are still young enough that their parties can be so easy and inexpensive.

4/5/09~ There is some thing so sweet about General Conference weekend. I love how my soul fills refreshed and excited to set goals. There was an overwhelming message to go to the temple more often. I think they were talking directly to me. I am embarrassed to admit but I haven't been to the temple in over a year. Big D and I have set a goal to try and go once a month, now the trick is to just do it.

4/4/09~ I took Brook and Andy's engagement photos today. I didn't have a diffuser so there are quite a few shadows on their faces but I'm doing my best to give them good pictures. I think I am going to take some more next weekend, if they'll let me. Hopefully I can get a diffuser screen by then. I took over 100 photos and I think I have a little more than 10 good ones. I'm a bit discouraged by that number but I have to keep reminding myself that I'm learning as I go and I will only get better. I guess it's a good thing I'm not charging them or they'd probably be ticked with only 10 to chose from.

4/3/09~ The kids went out to Papa Guy and Grandma Honey's for the weekend. I'm free, YEAH! It's nice to have a break I think it makes me a better mom. It also gives Big D and I a glimpse on how life is going to be when it's just us again (he's going to suffer from Empty Nest Syndrome, me, I'll be fine). Big D and I went out to eat and a movie. We saw the new Nicolas Cage movie, "Knowing". I was a little leary because he hasn't made a good movie in a little while but the movie was really good. It had a ton of religious over tones in it: In the last days the righteous will be taken up, the tree of life, the earth will be cleansed with fire, etc. I really enjoyed it for nothing else than it was a good story.

4/2/09~ Spring Break is definitely over. Last week was a week of relaxation and laziness. This week I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I have a sink full of dirty dishes, every dish in the house. They've been there all week because I have no time to clean them. I am mortified any time some one comes over. I need another Spring Break I think.

4/1/09~ April Fools Day, and I didn't pull any pranks. I did make my kids eat spaghetti for the fourth night in a row. I'm pretty sure they were hoping that it was a joke when I announced dinner. Ha Ha the jokes on them. Next time I make spaghetti I really need to use portion control.

No comments: