Saturday, April 25, 2009

I Can Hear You Now

I wrote awhile ago about seeing an Audiologist about a hearing aid. I've talked to quite a few Audiologists through out my life, well, because I'm deaf. All of them have told me there is nothing they can do.

I let a few years pass then I ask again. You never know with technology these days maybe they've come up with some great new thing that will bring a dead nerve back to life or at least learn to by pass it.

This Audiologist ran a test that no one else ever bothered too before. He said he wanted to try this one hearing aid but he was not very optomistic that it would change any thing for me. I was just happy that someone was willing to try something, anything.

He ordered the hearing aid and said in two weeks he'd call me when it came in. Well, a little over three weeks later he called me really excited. He apologized for things taking so long but he had great news. The owner of the hearing aid company got ahold of my file and was interested in my case.

I guess this guy is a billionaire whose fitted President Bush and celebreties with hearing aids. That part didn't impress me but what did was he thought my type of hearing loss would be perfect to try out his new hearing aid. That is what was taking so long they were building a special hearing aid for me.

It's really quite interesting, my ear is dead there is nothing they can do for that. However, they put this hearing aid in my left ear and turn it up to such a decible that the sound travels through my skull over to my good ear and I can hear.

After getting it I came home and had Bug help me with an experiment. I sat in the middle of the room and closed my eyes. I had her walk around the room and say some thing, I would then point to where I thought the sound was coming from. Without the hearing aid my hearing is ninety degrees off, but with the hearing aid I was right on 97% of the time. And when I was off is was only by maybe forty-five degrees.

That is sooooo cool!!!!

I've also been having the kids whisper in my left ear to see if I can hear them and sure enough I can.

The only down side right now is my head rattles when I wear the hearing aid. My brain isn't used to the high decibles traveling through my head but my Audiologist said my brain will start to compensate for that but it will take awhile.

So I get to test drive this hearing aid for a couple months to see if it makes a significant difference in my life. I am excited and optomistic about my new challenge. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Camie Marie said...

That is more than Fantastic!!! I can't believe it! I'm so happy for you I can't stop grinning. Very cool story to add to your amazing book of life.