Thursday, July 16, 2009

Choices Choices Choices

I am very blessed to live in a home that I love, in an area that I love, and in a Ward that I love. I knew from the first moment that I saw this house that we were going to buy it and make it our home.



We've lived here for nine and a half years and every year the landscape gets more mature and the house gets more personality.



It is picturesque in all seasons and many have commented that our house is the cutest on the street. Even though that is only the opinion of some, I tend to agree. However, I feel like I live on the best street in the whole town and I've never had any desire to move, until...



the house across the street became available. I have been staring at this house since the day I moved in. I told Big D that if it ever came available I would like to check into getting it. Of course he didn't take me seriously until a few months ago when the little old lady who was living there went to live in an assisted living home.



I have made a pros and cons list of purchasing the home and the pros win, but I feel like I'm being selfish for wanting a house just across the street. It is a little bigger than mine and the lot it sits on is twice as big as mine. My family could grow in it and we wouldn't have to walk all over each other. We can have family functions inside and out where as at my house now we can only do out.

It's a really bad time to sell but a great time to buy. I don't think there has ever been a good time for both has there? I would like to say I don't think I'd have a hard time selling my house but I really don't know. It's in the price range that is still selling $110k - $115k. It's a nice starter home but it is old and there are some things that need updating.

The other house is even worse off than ours. It is so out dated that it needs a new furnace, new electrical, and new windows. We probably won't be able to afford those until years down the road, that doesn't make Big D very happy.

Big D's parents are leaving on a mission in a couple months and we've talked before about selling our house and moving into theirs while they're gone and building our own. I think that is what Big D wants to do but I've never wanted to live in a new house. I love the character and charm that comes with an old house. I would hate living in a house that is exactly like everyone elses house. A new house to me feels like a big box. If you want to add character like crown molding, coved ceilings and doorways that all costs so much that it's not economical in new construction when you're trying to save money.

I don't know what is going to happen yet. We will have to make a lot of sacrifices if we move and I don't know if Big D is willing and I don't want to feel like I'm forcing him because I want it so bad. If we don't move I will be disappointed but I still love my house and I am perfectly happy to continue upgrading this one. If it is meant to be it will happen and if not we will move on.

No comments: